It’s Lent as soon as once more, and meaning a number of vegetarian and pescatarian meals within the Pagano abode. My first low carb Lent providing this 12 months is a really tasty, Cajun-seasoned, Parmesan-crusted fish, served over coleslaw combine with a creamy lime and garlic dressing.
Fish tacos are a fairly large factor proper now; they normally encompass crispy breaded fish served over a candy, lime-laced coleslaw in road taco shells. Now, taco salad is one among my all-time favourite meals, and so the apparent resolution to lack of tortilla is to serve my keto breaded fish salad-model. Because I’m busy and at all times seeking to simplify, I made a decision to make one dressing to rule all of them as an alternative of a lime dressing for the slaw and a separate remoulade to prime.
The finish end result was an excellent filling and engaging Lenten Friday meal that offers the oldsters down on the parish barbeque a run for his or her cash.
Notes: As per traditional, breading is a little bit of an inexact course of. I gave the very best estimates as to how a lot of every ingredient I used, however relying on how heavy-handed you’re along with your dredging you may want slightly roughly. Hence, the coconut flour and Parmesan cheese measurements might not be lifeless on, and the macros are slightly extra of an estimate than traditional. As lengthy as the quantity you utilize is pretty shut, your macros needs to be principally in keeping with mine.
Also, I’m conscious that folks both love cilantro or hate it, so I garnished my bowl with this vibrant and delightful herb (however left it off my cilantro-loathing husband’s), and listed it as an non-compulsory ingredient so you’ll be able to customise to your personal desire.
Some of the weather on this dish are inexact in measurements, as a result of nature of breading. I’ll give my greatest estimates on how a lot can be used, however chances are you’ll use slightly roughly than the quantities I’ve urged. As lengthy because it’s shut, the macros can be pretty constant.
For the dressing:
- 1 c (8 fl oz/237 ml) bitter cream
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp floor black pepper
For the fish:
- 1 lb (16 oz/ 454 g) catfish fillets (or your favourite white fish), sliced into 1″ chunks
- 2 tbsp (approx. 1/2 oz/ 14 g) coconut flour
- 1/2 c (approx. 1 3/4 oz/ 50 g) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning, divided
- 1-2 eggs, giant
- 1-2 tbsp heavy cream
- avocado oil to fry, sufficient to fill about 1/4″ of the underside of a skillet
For the salad:
- 1 lb (16 oz/ 454 g) bag shredded coleslaw greens (uncooked cabbage combination)
- 2 giant radishes, rinsed properly and thinly sliced
- 1 oz (57 g) crimson onion, thinly sliced into strips
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- cilantro to garnish, if desired
For the dressing:
- Mix all dressing substances properly and refrigerate in an hermetic container till able to serve.
For the fish:
- In a large, shallow bowl or on a plate, stir collectively the coconut flour and 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning.
- In a large, shallow bowl, combine collectively egg and heavy cream to make an egg wash.
- In a large, shallow bowl stir collectively the Parmesan cheese and remaining Cajun seasoning.
- To bread the fish, dredge a chunk frivolously within the coconut flour. This can be a light-weight dusting, so shake off any extra.
- Next, dip your fish piece into the egg wash and permit any extra to drip again into the bowl.
- Finally, dredge the fish within the Parmesan combination, letting any extra shake again into the bowl, and put aside. Repeat with every bit of fish till it’s all breaded and let stand on a plate when you warmth your oil.
- In a big skillet, warmth avocado oil over medium-excessive till a drop of water pops and sizzles.
- Add a number of items at a time to fry, being cautious to not crowd the pan. Pan fry the primary facet for 3 minutes or so, or till the underside is golden brown and solidified.
- Flip the fish and proceed to fry on the second facet till it’s golden brown and uniform, and the fish is cooked by means of. This is not going to take lengthy, because the smaller items of fish will prepare dinner by means of in a short time. If the breading begins browning too rapidly, flip the warmth all the way down to medium and proceed.
- Remove to empty on paper towels and repeat the frying course of with the remaining fish in batches.
For the salad:
- Toss collectively all greens.
- Divide the blended salad between six plates and prime with equal parts scorching fried fish and dressing to serve.
- Garnish with contemporary cilantro, if desired.
Per serving: 252 cal, 19.9 g protein, 14.7 g fats, 10.8 g carbs, 2.9 g fiber, 7.9 g NET carbs
Keywords: lent, fish, barbeque, pescatarian, fish taco, taco salad